13 October 2011

Rosa and Richter

Seascape (Sea-Sea), 1970
Abstract Painting, 1992
 
Cathedral Corner II, 1988
Cloud, 1970 (part of a triptych)
Before Gerhard Richter's major show, Panorama (6 October 2011 - 8 January 2012) at the Tate Modern, I hadn't really seen/heard/read much about him. Which is embarrassing, since after reading all the reviews etc I have discovered that loads of people think he is amazing, and even the greatest living painter now Freud has died. I haven't seen enough, or know enough about Richter to make my mind up about him, but I really enjoyed his show when I went with Rosa yesterday. As I find a lot at the Tate, the show was massive - almost too big, and I am already planning another visit when I am less overwhelmed and there are less people about. I wanted to go wild in the shop and buy all the postcards, but my purse didn't allow me too - another reason to go back.
We also checked out the new Turbine Hall installation, a film by Tacita Dean. Really enjoyed that too, and was one of those annoying people that took a lot of photos, rather than just watch the film.
Rosa and I walked along the river to Embankment afterwards, where we found her perfect man nearby:
That just don't make them like they used to, so lovely and tall.