8 May 2012

Crochet Crab

The lace and chiffon below is to me reminiscent of an exhibition of Joana Vasconcelos' work I went to see at Haunch of Venison when it was camping out at Burlington Gardens back in 2010. The show was amazing, and definitely one of the best I went to that year.
Vasconcelos creates crochet webs that mask objects. My favourites were the crochet covered animals
'I will Survive', Vasconcelos' exhibition at Burlington Gardens, suited the space perfectly. The wood panelled rooms provided the ideal backdrop for these carefully crocheted pieces. I was completely floored (actually quite literally) by 'Garden of Eden', a vast space initially appearing pitch black, until ones' eyes adjusted and picked out the hundreds of fibre optic plants laid out in a maze around the room. Impossible to get a picture to do the work justice, but it was a much better version of this:
For more, see here for Haunch of Venison's write up. Tomorrow I'm off to see the Freud at the National Portrait Gallery. So glad I got my act together and booked in time.