7 September 2011

Phyllida Barlow






Before work yesterday I went to the current exhibition at Hauser & Wirth, Piccadilly - 'RIG' by Phyllida Barlow. The idea of Barlow's sculptures seem to work to bring the vast outside city into the small inside space of the gallery, displacing the viewer. I really enjoyed the exhibition, partly because it was so suited to the space of the gallery (wooden panelled rooms, lots of narrow winding staircases to different enclosed and interesting spaces), but also because Barlow's sculptures were to me both ugly and beautiful. Rough concrete was in places remedied by bright fabric - or paint - acting as envelopes which cast their reflections over the cornicing. The ragged pom-poms hanging from the beams in the attic were almost my favourite and reminded me of pinatas - maybe I will try and recreate them as party decorations.