16 September 2011

Adrian Ghenie

Self-Portrait as Charles Darwin, 2011
Self Portrait (as a Monkey), 2010
The Blow, 2010
Dr. Josef, 2011
I went to see Adrian Ghenie's show at the Haunch of Venison today. Beforehand, I had looked online and almost decided against going as it looked rather grim - but a friend who I met for coffee this morning had been, and persuaded me to go. I'll be honest, walking down Haunch of Venison yard always makes me nervous. There is normally a group of exceptionally well dressed workers or art students exiting the gallery, and I immediately felt self conscious about the coffee stain on my white t-shirt that I had just acquired. Once I got over that, and got past the first room of paintings, I really enjoyed the exhibition. It was refreshing to see paintings after seeing a lot of sculpture recently. It is a bit dark, but I guess that makes sense, as the photocopy accompaniment to the exhibition quotes Ghenie, saying 'I am interested in evil'.