6 February 2012

Caerhays Castle

This is Caerhays Castle in Cornwall, one of the most beautiful places in the county. I've only visited once ages ago but I remember it well. It's one of those stately homes that still feels lived in, with certain parts cordoned off during visiting hours. Still a home though - I loved walking through the breakfast room and seeing the remnants of the morning meal (Weetabix, in fact) still on the table. Apparently Caerhays is home to the biggest collection of Magnolia's in the country
 
In my mind that means the landscape is a sea of pink throughout spring, although I'm sure this dream can't be true as there are tons of varieties of Magnolias according to the castle's website. As it's practically on a beach too, it made the perfect setting for the 1979 TV series of Rebecca, with Jeremy Brett and Joanna David.
 
It does kind of feel like everyone should always be wearing white suits or summer dresses with hats and veils at Caerhays, like Brett here.