8 March 2011

Monday






I've recently subscribed to the Magnum Photography website, which gives you the option of being sent a 'photo of the week.' I forgot about that till last night when I got the email, and it made my evening. The picture by David Alan Harvey, shows a workhorse being kept over night on a family's porch in Trinidad. The horse reminded me of a photograph by one of my favourite photographers Josef Koudelka, who has is famous for taking pictures of gypsies in Eastern Europe. Another equestrian related thought was my trip Bradford a couple of months ago, where I visited the National Museum of Media. It has an enourmous archive of photographs, and the current photography exhibition 'From Back Home' was brilliant. It showcased two Swedish photographers, and this photograph by Anders Petersen was particularly romantic and nostalgic. And then - not horse but I suppose mammal related - I thought of this book of paintings I have of bulls. Quite random - I bought it in a charity shop in Shepherd's Bush years ago. I really love it - the paintings remind me of my uncle who is a farmer, and was once in a punk band with his friends called 'Mad Cow'.
Images: David Alan Harvey, Koudelka, Petersen, Bull painting book.